Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Formal Introductory Letter

Formal introductory letter for learning portfolio.


Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am writing to introduce myself to you about the critical thinking and communication module. My name is Muhammad Zulhilmi.  Before enrolling into university, I studied urban design in polytechnic and took the civil engineering specialization. During my internship, I was attached to a few construction sites. I was then introduced to the build industry and oversaw many construction processes such as piling works. I was also given tasks such as land surveying, which built my civil engineering skills. These experiences piqued my interest in engineering. Additionally, as Singapore has limited land, there’s always a problem that needs to be addressed regarding building and housing. Hence, this allows me to enhance my skills by tackling those problems which strengthened my interest in engineering.

During internship, my adaptability in communication allows me to thrive well. I communicated effectively with my colleagues using clear and concise sentences. Additionally, I drew instructions on paper and even used google translate to communicate with the foreign workers. These steps ensured that work flows smoothly. However, I am not fluent when communicating formally as my superiors prefer to speak informally. Being able to work on this weakness will help me when presenting to my clients in the future. Hence, from this module I hope that I can effectively communicate formally as it will come in handy in future interviews and presentations. Secondly, I hope I can enhance my evaluation skills to improve my critical thinking. This will allow me to produce better reports and presentations. I believe under your tutelage, I can work on my weaknesses and improve my strength.

I am willing to humble myself to learn and practice new skills being taught to me. Hence, this makes me different from the rest as there is always room for improvement. 

With this, thank you for taking the time to read this letter. 

Yours sincerely,

Muhammad Zulhilmi


Commented on:

Shahrul

Lokes

Denzil

8 comments:

  1. Hi Zul! Javin here. Its is good that you have the strong will to try out something different from your polytechnic class! It must have been hard for you to adapt to this course. I agree that you need formal communication skills at times as it could affect your first impression but I hope that you will be able to pick up throughout this course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javin! Appreciate the comments! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hello Zul, it's great that you shared about how your internship experience in polytechnic helped build on your civil engineering skills and strengthen your interest in engineering. However, in the subsequent paragraph, the sentence 'However, I am not fluent when communicating formally with my superiors, as they prefer to speak informally.' sounds contradictory and perhaps you could change it to 'However, I am not fluent when communicating formally as my superiors prefer to speak informally.' to make the sentence more consistent. Also, your closing statement expects a favorable response from the reader which might not be courteous. Overall, the letter was concise and coherent with good flow and grammar. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denzil, thanks for the comments and suggestions! I have already edited my post. Is it better now?

      Delete
  3. Hello Zul!It is great to know that your experience in the working industry led you to express interest in joining this course.
    Your letter is a pleasure to read. It is well written and courteous. It has a good use of language and clarity. I like how your goals for this module are well-linked to your internship experience. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharul, thanks for reading the post. I enjoyed reading urs too!

      Delete
  4. Dear Zul,

    Thank you for this concise and fairly well developed post. The content is aligned with the assignment brief, you organize your ideas fairly well and the language use is mainly effective. You've also done well by providing information to support each specific content area. That allows readers to gain an understanding of who you are. I especially appreciate the discussion of how your rich internship experience strengthened your skills and interest in the CVE field.

    In that discussion though there are some issues with verb tense use:
    -- During internship, my adaptability in communication allows me to thrive well. > (inappropriate tense) ?
    -- These steps ensured that work flows smoothly. > (inconsistent tense use) ?
    -- I am not fluent when communicating formally as my superiors prefer to speak informally. > (still not fluent?) ?

    Let's work on this.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes prof will make the changes! thank you taking the time to read. I will make the changes

      Delete

Critical Reflection

Reflection Part 1 : Effective communication is an important skill to learn. Through this module, I have learned various skills related to ef...